Iceland Winter Photo Workshop and Tour 2020
January 19 – 28, 2020
Iceland Winter Trip Details
INSTRUCTOR: Richard Bernabe
PLACE: Reykjavik, Iceland is our beginning and end points but we travel throughout western and southern Iceland during the trip.
DATES: January 19 – 28, 2020
COST: $6995 double occupancy. $800 single supplement.
ACTIVITY LEVEL: Easy. No strenuous walking or hiking is involved.
REQUIRED READING: Iceland, Our Amazing Planet a FREE e-book by Richard Bernabe.
Winter is a special time in Iceland for photographers. On most cloudless nights, the aurora borealis lights up the winter sky as it dances and twists from one horizon to the other. Even during the day, the low-hanging winter sun casts long shadows and bathes the snowy landscape in beautiful warm light. Come join Richard on this winter photo adventure of a lifetime!
Iceland in Winter
Iceland is an island country located just south of the Arctic Circle in the North Atlantic that’s home to thousands of picturesque waterfalls, massive glaciers, volcanoes, and out-of-this-world surreal natural landscapes. Winter showcases Iceland’s natural features perhaps better than any other season. The northern lights (aurora borealis) are a possibility almost every night. Waterfalls, glaciers, geysers, ice caves are all featured on this trip as well as snow-covered mountains, volcanoes, and dramatic seascapes.
DAY 1 – We meet late in the afternoon at the hotel (to be determined) after everyone has arrived for a short talk, orientation, and question-and-answer session. We will then visit downtown Reykjavik and have dinner as a group.
DAY 2 – We leave in the morning for the 2.5 hour drive to our destination on the Snaefells Peninsula where we will photograph waterfalls, mountain scenes and the rugged coastline. Aurora hunting in the evening. Overnight on the Snaefells Peninsula.
DAY 3 – We depart for Geysir and Gullfoss. Overnight in Gullfoss and we will shoot the geysir basin, Gullfoss, and a secret glacial waterfall that only a few know about. Aurora hunting in the evening.
DAY 4 AND 5 – We are off to the town of Vik on the southern coast to photograph the rocky, dramatic beaches of Vik and Dyrholaey, as well as nearby waterfalls and volcanoes. Aurora hunting in the evening. Overnight in Vik.
DAY 6, 7 AND 8 – We travel to Hofn and the area near the Jokulsarlon iceberg lagoon, Vatnajokull glacier, Skaftafell National Park, and much more. We will also explore and photograph the magical ice caves under the glacier. Aurora hunting at Jokulsarlon each night.
DAY 9 – Skogafoss and Seljalandsfoss waterfalls, Icelandic ponies, and more. Drive back to Reykjavik.
DAY 10 – Back in Reykjavik. Image review and critique session. Tour ends around noon. Depart to Keflavik in the afternoon.
This itinerary is subject to change based on local conditions. In addition, we will try to be as flexible as possible in order to have the best photo opportunities during the trip.
- The snow-covered landscape of Iceland.
- Iceland is located in the “aurora belt” so the Northern Lights are a very good possibility to see and photograph. Winter offers dark skies and long nights making it the best time for the Aurora Borealis.
- The largest waterfalls in all of Europe, most of which do not freeze over even during the coldest winters.
- Winter is the only season when it’s possible to explore and photograph ice caves.
- The biggest glaciers in Europe.
- Floating icebergs and black sand beaches.
- Dramatic winter sunrises and sunsets.
- Professional guiding and hands-on photography instruction.
- Lightroom and Photoshop instruction
- Airport transfer from international airport in Keflavik to hotel in Reykjavik and back.
- Full room and board for entire trip.
- All transportation within Iceland.
What’s Not Included
- International flights to and from Keflavik, Iceland (KEF).
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Trip Insurance (recommended).
Final payment is due 90 days before the tour starts. To cancel after final payment has been made, 25% refund (minus initial deposit) between 90 and 30 days. No refund within 30 days. If we can find another customer to take your place, we will give you a 100% refund (minus your initial deposit).
To register, or if you have any questions, please email our logistics manager for the Iceland Winter Photography Workshop and Tour 2020, Daniel Portal.